Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pancakes & Jesus

When Jason and I were dating, I wanted to be the "ultimate girlfriend", so I decided to make him some homemade pancakes.

I was 20 years old. 

I was in love.

I was NOT the best cook.

Pancakes, though. How hard could that be?

I griddled up the most PERFECT looking pancake you ever saw! It was as big as a plate and a nice toasty, warm, golden brown on both sides. It was even a perfect circle. No weird, lumpy appendages of any sort.

I warmed up the syrup. (You HAVE to warm up the syrup. Pouring cold syrup on a hot pancake is like jumping into a cold hot tub. Just... wrong.)

I served it to him, all smiles. I was so stinkin' proud of that thing. As God is my witness, it was a thing of pure beauty, I'll tell you what. I watched as my dreamy, tall drink of water sunk his fork into it.

...and batter poured out.

As Gordon Ramsay would yell right before kicking a garbage can, "It's bloody RAAAAWWWW!"

So. Lame.

Got me thinking today about what Jesus said in Matthew 23:

“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs - beautiful on the outside but filled on the inside with dead people’s bones and all sorts of impurity. Outwardly you look like righteous people, but inwardly your hearts are filled with hypocrisy and lawlessness."

OUCH. Those Pharisees were like my pancake. They were so beautiful on the outside. They said the right things, went to the right places, had the right friends, and were, by all appearances, righteous. But on the inside, they were full of nasty, raw, bitter batter.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people who say they are Christian are like this today. They put on a happy face. They appear to be doing everything right. They judge the ones who don't "do faith" like they do. They have the perfect kids, house, job, church, friends, radio stations, books, language, and look. But on the inside... they're a nasty mess.

Here's the awesome thing: When you bend a knee and ask Jesus to forgive your sins and lead your life, He makes you BRAND NEW! Because He is full of grace, He transforms your life from the inside out. You don't have to pretend to be righteous. Because of Jesus, God sees you as totally righteous.

So, where are you at today? Have you given your life to Jesus, or are you just going through the motions? Have you let His grace transform you, or are you still holding on to the law like the Pharisees were? Jumping through hoops or following all the "faith rules" does not bring transformation. Only Jesus renews.

2 Corinthians 4:16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

I want to invite you to take a chance and come to The Crossing Church in Zimmerman this Sunday. You'll have an opportunity to learn more about the awesome life Jesus offers & take a step of faith through baptism, if you choose. Oh! And we'll be griddling up a ton of pancakes after our 10am service. No worries - I'm a MUCH better cook after 15 years of marriage. Hope to see you then! Be sure you say hello.

No comments: