Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thoughts about Food & Self-Control

So, I've been making some semblance of progress on this food battle I always seem to be fighting. I've been losing weight -- YAY!!

I think it's because I'm actually paying attention to my body. Before I eat, I ask myself if I'm actually hungry or if I'm eating for another reason. Sounds simple, I know, but when you eat out of boredom or as a reaction to an emotion, you just don't think about the fact that you might not really be hungry because you are only thinking about the immediate gratification the food is going to provide. Plus, you aren't really relying on God to provide the food when you will feel hungry. You are just taking matters into your own hands & giving in to your physical desires. Not to be crass, but it's basically like gratifying yourself sexually instead of waiting for God to provide a spouse for you to get busy with.


I know it seems like it's not really a big deal to eat whenever you feel like it. I mean, you are the one who's going to have to deal with the "weight" of that issue. I mean, if you've got an extra 20 lbs. because of your late-night ice cream habit whose business is it anyway? But, it's so much more than that. It's about the fact that in that moment of eating "just because", I completely lack self-control.

Galatians 5:22 says, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control..."

And it goes on to say that I, as a Christ-follower, am to "keep in step with the Spirit".

So, in an effort to keep in step with the Spirit & to live out the part of my faith that includes the fruit of self-control, I am making stronger commitments than I have in a while when it comes to the food thing. I have been cutting down my portions (really, who even NEEDS restaurant-sized portions?), curbing the late-night eating, and I've recommitted myself to the spiritual discipline of fasting once a week. But I think the key is that in being self-controlled I feel closer to God than I have in a long time. And that's a bigger reward than anything the scale could ever tell me.

Here's to keeping in step with the Spirit! Pray for me!




2 comments:

Peter said...

Right on, Tracy. I have to make an effort to not eat at work just to justify a break. I've gotten in the habit of having a snack everytime I need 5-10 minutes away from my computer - why can't I just walk?

Ted Snyder said...

Heck yeah, Tracy! Way to go! My food battle has a little less good news. I gained a bunch of weight back because I said "screw you" to the weighdown stuff. It was hard, so I gave up. Lame, I know. HOWEVER, that weight gain was a huge eye opener, and I'm back on the horse! This time, I'm actually going to finish reading the book, and take it at a pace that doesn't break me, but stretches me. It's encouraging to see someone succeeding in this area. Thanks Tracy!